The Upper Hunter's largest town Muswellbrook, is situated one and a half hours north of Newcastle.
The area is predominantly know for coal mining and horse breeding, but has also developed a reputation for gourmet food and wine production, including a number of wineries that offer cellar door tastings.
Muswellbrook is situated right in the heart of Upper Hunter Country and is the ideal base to explore the region. Take a stroll down memory lane on the Muswellbrook heritage Walk and see fine buildings dating back to the mid-1800s. This 4.5km walk throughout Muswellbrook CBD includes 40 different items of historical significance. You can start and stop at any point and pick up again at another time where you left off. Fine old buildings dating back to the mid-1800s, grand residences, community precincts - testimony to the good times and hard times, all of great importance to the development of Muswellbrook.
A copy of the Muswellbrook Heritage Town Walk can be obtained from the Visitor Information Centre.
Things to do:
- Step back in time to the early 1800's as you revisit historic buildings along the Heritage Town Walk.
- Play a round of golf at the superb 18-hole golf course.
- Experience country racing at Muswellbrook's Skellatar Park - one of Australia's best Country Race Clubs.
- Sample award winning wine and produce.
- Visit the Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre, home of the Max Watters Collection and the Muswellbrook Art Prize.
- Hunt for treasure on the Monthly Market Day stalls at the Muswellbrook Showground featuring the famous Poultry Auction.